Technology Integration with UDL

 For this discussion, I chose to learn about Diffit, an AI-powered tool that helps teachers create and adapt instructional materials. Teachers can begin with a topic or existing resource and generate materials suited to different reading levels. They can also adjust vocabulary, translate content, and add visual supports. As a GED teacher working with Spanish-speaking adults, I was interested in how these features could help me make lessons more accessible while maintaining meaningful learning goals.

Engagement

Diffit could support motivation by helping me provide material that challenges students without overwhelming them. CAST’s UDL Guidelines emphasize choice, relevance, and a balance between challenge and support. My GED students bring different levels of reading experience, so giving everyone the same passage may create unnecessary frustration. I could use Diffit to prepare accessible versions of a reading while keeping the same central concept. For example, a science lesson about energy could connect to electricity use at home. Giving students a choice of relevant examples and setting clear goals could help sustain their effort. The motivation would come from how I design the lesson, rather than from the AI tool alone.

Representation

Representation seems to be Diffit’s strongest area. Its options for adapting text, explaining vocabulary, translating resources, and adding visuals could provide several pathways into the same content. In my classroom, I could combine a Spanish reading about energy with a vocabulary chart and a diagram showing energy transformations. This would help students connect scientific terms to familiar examples. However, translated or simplified text is only one form of support. I would also provide verbal explanations and check whether students could access the materials using any assistive technology they need.

Action and Expression

Diffit could help me prepare varied activities, but I would still need to design meaningful choices for how students demonstrate understanding. CAST recommends multiple media for communication and graduated support for practice. After an energy lesson, students could write an explanation, give an oral response, or create a labeled diagram. These options could assess the same science objective. If the objective were essay writing, however, I would keep a written response and offer supports such as an outline or sentence starters. The response options should match what I am actually assessing.

Limitations and Responsible Use

One concern is that AI-generated materials may contain inaccuracies, awkward translations, or biased examples. Simplifying a passage could also remove important details or reduce the intellectual challenge. For adult learners, I would check that accessible language still feels respectful and age appropriate.

I would also need to check the accessibility of each finished resource rather than assume it works with screen readers or keyboard navigation. Technology access could create another barrier, so I would provide printed alternatives when needed.

To use Diffit responsibly, I would review every resource, verify factual information, and check Spanish translations before sharing them. I would avoid entering identifiable student information and use general descriptions of learning needs. Most importantly, I would ask students which supports help them. Diffit could make preparation easier, but inclusive teaching would still depend on my decisions and my students’ feedback. 


Resources

Diffit. (2026, July 23). How to get started on Diffit. Describes adapting reading levels, translating content, and adding vocabulary and visual supports. https://support.diffit.me/hc/en-us/articles/21792858262157-How-to-get-started-on-Diffit

CAST. (n.d.). Engagement. Explains supporting learner choice, relevance, motivation, and persistence. https://udlguidelines.cast.org/engagement/

CAST. (2024). Universal Design for Learning Guidelines version 3.0. https://udlguidelines.cast.org/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ARCS Model: Motivating Students to learn

Communication and Social Media

Open Education Resources: Yay or Nay?