IXL learning environment

 


The learning environment I investigated was IXL Learning, which is an online platform that supports students through skill practice, diagnostic assessments, and personalized recommendations. Its diagnostic tools identify students’ current understanding and recommend skills they are ready to work on next. As a substitute teacher, I can see how this approach could be helpful because my some students come to class with different educational backgrounds and learning needs. Some need to review foundational skills, while others are ready for more challenging material. So seeing this being used in every classroom I go and substitute for made me curious into how helpful is this online tool.

How does the learning environment facilitate cognitive presence?

Cognitive presence involves making meaning through inquiry, reflection, and applying what we learn. I think IXL can support this process by providing targeted practice that helps students work through gaps in their understanding. Its personalized recommendations give learners a starting point for developing their skills. However, completing practice questions does not automatically lead to deeper thinking. In my GED classroom, I would ask students to explain how they reached an answer, discuss a mistake, or connect a problem to an everyday situation. For example, students practicing percentages could explain how they would calculate a discount while shopping.

How does the learning environment facilitate teacher presence?

Teacher presence involves designing learning experiences, guiding students, and providing instruction. IXL supports this through analytics that help teachers monitor learning and make instructional decisions. I would use this information to decide which students need additional explanations or small-group instruction. As a teacher, I appreciate having information that helps me plan with a clear purpose. Still, I would need to interpret the results alongside classroom conversations because a report cannot fully explain why a student is struggling.

How does the learning environment facilitate social presence?

Social presence involves feeling connected, comfortable, and recognized within a learning community. From my investigation, this seems to be an area where teacher planning is especially important because IXL emphasizes individualized learning. I would build social presence by having students compare strategies with a partner or explain a challenging problem together. For adult GED learners, creating a supportive atmosphere matters because returning to school can feel intimidating. I would want students to feel comfortable asking questions and learning from one another.

What do you like about the learning environment?

What I like most is the opportunity to personalize learning. Teaching GED students has helped me recognize that one lesson or worksheet will not meet everyone’s needs. IXL’s targeted recommendations could help me provide more appropriate practice without expecting every student to begin at the same level. I also like that students could take an active role in understanding what they need to improve.

How could the learning environment improve?

I would like to see more opportunities for collaborative learning and open-ended activities where students explain their reasoning. For my teaching context, I would also appreciate more adult-centered examples connected to work, budgeting, and everyday decisions. Stronger bilingual support throughout the learning experience would be valuable for my Spanish-speaking GED students. These additions could make the environment feel more relevant and help students connect individual practice with meaningful conversations and real-life applications.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ARCS Model: Motivating Students to learn

Communication and Social Media

Open Education Resources: Yay or Nay?