Emerging Technology
Teaching Students to Question Confident Answers: AI and Trust
The trend I chose from the 2026 EDUCAUSE Horizon Report is “AI is reshaping trust in information.” Robert et al. (2026) explain that AI can generate convincing text and visuals without making their authorship, sources, or reasoning clear. This makes it harder to judge credibility by appearance alone. For educators, this trend raises a question: how do we help students evaluate information when an inaccurate answer can look polished and authoritative?
As a new GED teacher, I see potential benefits in using AI to support this kind of learning. I could present an AI-generated explanation alongside a reliable source and ask students to compare them. For example, students studying energy could identify whether both explanations accurately describe the difference between energy transfer and transformation. This activity could strengthen science knowledge while teaching students to support conclusions with evidence.
AI can also help me prepare Spanish explanations and vocabulary supports. However, translation creates another reason to verify content. An explanation might sound natural while changing the meaning of a scientific term. Students who depend on translated materials could be especially affected because they may have fewer accessible resources for checking the information.
Equity is another concern. Students with limited internet access, digital experience, or money for subscriptions may have fewer opportunities to practice evaluating AI outputs. I would provide printed comparisons and guided classroom practice so that participation would not require a paid account.
Privacy also matters. Students might share personal circumstances when requesting help without understanding how that information is handled. I would use fictional examples and teach students to avoid entering identifying information. Accessibility would require checking that resources work with students’ preferred supports, including readable formatting and verbal explanations.
Over the next five to ten years, I want information verification to become a regular part of my teaching. My philosophy is that students should develop confidence in their own judgment alongside their ability to use technology. I would ask them to identify a claim, locate supporting evidence, and explain whether the evidence justifies the answer. I would also include short reflections describing how they used AI and what they corrected.
As I work toward possibly teaching dual-credit courses, these habits could help students transition into higher education with stronger research skills. I want AI use to create opportunities for questioning, discussion, and revision.
Question for higher order thinking: How would you teach students to question AI-generated information without making them afraid to use a potentially helpful tool?
Reference
Robert, J., Muscanell, N., McCormack, M., & Arnold, K. (2026). 2026 EDUCAUSE Horizon report, teaching and learning edition. EDUCAUSE. https://www.educause.edu/horizon-report-teaching-and-learning-2026
AI disclosure: I used generative AI to help organize this post and added my own connections to my teaching before submitting it.
Comments
Post a Comment